1. Employment Equity is a government-initiated program that requires that Companies recruit and promote a specified number of employees from different race groups and genders within a prescribed time frame.
2. Companies have to be representative of the national demographics of South Africa within 10 years.
3. White people do not qualify as designated groups in terms of Employment Equity.
4. Employment Equity Committees are responsible for making sure the company’s staff profile improves with respect to designated groups.
5. Senior managers should also be members of the EE Committee in order to represent the Employer (Company’s interests).
6. The Employment Equity Committee can override the Managing Director’s decisions if necessary.
7. Companies can apply the Employment Equity Act to demote or refuse to promote white males, in order to meet Employment Equity targets.
8. The Employment Equity Act requires that companies do a review of salary differentials (gaps), and if different people are paid different salaries for doing the same job, the company must adjust the salaries.
9. It is legally acceptable to ask an applicant for employment about his or her family life and background.
10. There are times when it is legally permisable to discriminate against employees on the basis of race, gender, pregnancy, age etc.
11. It is usually not a problem to prefer a person for employment on the basis of their marital status.
12. An employer can insist that employee take a TB test.
13. Employment Equity means treating everyone the same.
All of the statements above are FALSE, except for numbers 10 and 12 which are TRUE. This quiz might have you puzzled, because some of the questions have two parts to them; one half is true and the other half is false. In these cases, the statement as a whole is false. If you would like more explanation on any of the statements and why they are true or false, please e-mail: email@example.com. We’ll send you a free answer sheet to dispel myths any staff in your company might have!
If you need help, contact us! We have been running Employment Equity workshops and assisting companies with compliance for 10 years, and have the most up-to-date Employment Equity toolkits for Committees and Transformation Forums.
WE CAN ALSO PROVIDE YOUR COMPANY WITH A PRACTICAL AND ENTERTAINING EMPLOYMENT EQUITY VIDEO FOR TRAINING AND COMMUNICATING EMPLOYMENT EQUITY TO STAFF. THIS VIDEO IS UP-TO-DATE, SOUTH AFRICAN IN CONTEXT, AND ILLUSTRATES REAL–LIFE SCENARIOS AND TYPICAL DIVERSITY PROBLEMS THAT SOUTH AFRICAN BUSINESSES EXPERIENCE.